RV Insurance

Traveling in your RV opens up so many possibilities. You get the freedom to travel to new places, experience spectacular scenery, and roam the highways and byways at your leisure. Whether you’re a weekend wanderer or enjoying your retirement on the go, FirstMark can help protect your dream.

We’re experts in covering a wide range of recreational vehicles including luxury Class A motorhomes, travel trailers, fifth wheels, pop-up campers, camper vans, horse and utility trailers, and more. Before you hit the road, talk with FirstMark about properly protecting your home away from home so you can travel with greater enjoyment and fewer worries.

RV, Trailer, and Motorhome Insurance Coverage Options

Enjoying your time camping, exploring, and cruising the open road in your RV is more fun when you have the necessary insurance coverage. Along with essential liability protection, we also offer a full range of additional coverage options to further protect your family, your personal property, and your investment. Our agents are here to help you choose just the right policy for your needs whether you use your RV on weekends only or are out and about for months at a time.

Total Loss Settlement Options

If your RV is damaged, we’ll repair it to pre-accident condition. However, if your RV is a total loss because it’s damaged beyond repair, or is stolen and not recovered, we have three settlement options:

Actual Cash Value

In the event of a claim, you get the actual cash value or the amount necessary to repair or replace your RV, whichever is less. To determine actual cash value, we find RVs similar to yours and then account for depreciation, which includes current condition, prior accidents, mileage, and other factors. Once this fair market value is set, that’s the amount you get in the event of a total loss claim, minus your deductible. This settlement option is available for all vehicle types, and it is the only settlement option available for horse and utility trailers.

Agreed Value Coverage

Agreed value coverage is important because it gets you back on the road quickly even in the event of a total loss. So, when you start your policy, we will mutually agree on a value for your RV including all permanently attached equipment. In the event of a total loss, we will pay that amount minus your deductible. Agreed value coverage is available for motorhomes and travel trailers, but not horse or utility trailers, and comprehensive and collision coverage are required with this option.

Replacement Cost

Replacement cost coverage is available on newly purchased motorhomes and travel trailers up to one model year old that have not been previously sold. In the event of a total loss, this coverage will replace your RV with a new vehicle that matches as closely as possible its make, class, size, body type, and equipment up to 120% of your vehicle’s original purchase price. The replacement cost applies to the vehicle for 10 years. After that, your policy switches to actual cash value. The replacement cost option is not available for horse or utility trailers or motorhomes valued at more than $750,000.

Popular RV Coverage Options

Loss of Use

Loss of use coverage is available on vehicles insured for collision and/or comprehensive coverage. With this option, in the event of a claim for a covered loss, you are reimbursed for expenses, minus your deductible, incurred to rent a comparable substitute for your disabled vehicle.

Personal Effects Replacement Cost Coverage

When you travel, you bring many items with you. This includes furniture for sitting outside your RV, kayaks and other recreational equipment, kitchen appliances, cameras, and even a drawer full of bathing suits. All these little touches that make your RV feel like home are important to you, so they’re important to us, too. With FirstMark’s personal effects replacement cost coverage, you’re protected against damage or loss of items you use with your RV. You can purchase up to $50,000 of coverage with a very low $100 deductible. Custom RV equipment and other items permanently attached to your RV are covered separately (see Audio-Visual and Custom Equipment Protection below).

Vacation Liability

Vacation liability coverage is available on motorhomes and travel trailers (though not horse or utility trailers) insured for both comprehensive and collision coverage. It provides you with liability coverage for bodily injury and property damage when the covered vehicle is being used as a temporary residence. All eligible vehicles receive $10,000 of vacation liability coverage at no charge, and you may increase your limit up to $500,000.

Mexico Physical Damage

Vehicles with comprehensive and collision coverage may purchase Mexico physical damage coverage. This protects you from losses that occur while you’re driving your RV in Mexico or transporting it between locations in Mexico. Please note: when driving in Mexico, you must purchase liability insurance from a licensed Mexican insurance company.

Roadside Assistance

You’ll feel more secure setting out on an adventure knowing you have roadside assistance. This option covers such assistance as fixing a flat tire, the delivery of essential engine fluids, towing, and even help from a locksmith to get you back in your vehicle.

Emergency Assistance

With this option, help is on the way when you need it most. This includes all the features available with roadside assistance plus additional coverage for personal property, temporary living expenses, and transportation costs if your RV becomes uninhabitable. For example, if your RV breaks down and you need to stay at a hotel while it’s being repaired, we provide coverage for taxi fare and your hotel stay.

Audio-Visual and Custom Equipment Protection

You’ve taken the time and expense to personalize your vehicle, so protect all the amenities your family enjoys. This option protects your audio, visual, and custom equipment not installed at the factory, but that is permanently attached to your RV. Custom equipment includes any part that modifies the appearance or performance of your RV such as an awning, a modified or custom engine, exterior tool boxes, special carpeting, custom wheels, and decorative decals. Custom equipment or other items not permanently attached are covered as part of your personal property insurance (see personal effects replacement coverage).

Other Optional Coverage Choices

FirstMark offers many additional coverage options you may want to purchase according to your needs. Talk to an agent about adding these valuable coverages to your FirstMark RV policy.

Accident Forgiveness

If you have a FirstMark RV policy with no at-fault collision accidents or traffic violations for a required period, you may qualify for Accident Forgiveness.

Diminishing Deductible

FirstMark loves rewarding safe drivers like you. When you remain claim-free, we’ll reduce your collision deductible by $100 with each annual policy renewal, for up to a maximum $500. You’ve earned it!

New Vehicle Replacement

If your RV is declared a total loss, the money you get back from your insurance may not cover the cost to replace your RV once depreciation is considered. New vehicle replacement coverage pays the full purchase price for your new vehicle, so you can cruise with confidence.

Loan or Lease Protection

In the event of a total loss, you don’t want to keep paying on an RV you can no longer use. This valuable option covers the difference between how much is left on your loan or lease and how much your RV is actually worth if it’s declared a total loss.

Electronic Lock and Key Replacement

We’ll replace your stolen electronic keys and remote-control pads and locks at no extra charge and with no deductible applied, so you can keep rolling along.

Essential RV Coverage Options

FirstMark RV insurance offers the same essential coverage options as our auto insurance including:

Bodily Injury Liability
This coverage helps pay for bodily injury expenses, such as hospital bills and medical care, that you may have to pay if you’re held legally responsible for an accident that injures another driver or another car’s passengers.
Property Damage Liability

This pays to fix someone else’s vehicle if you’re held responsible for damaging it in an accident. It also pays for damage to other people’s property such as their lawn or yard, utility poles, or the property inside a semi-trailer or freight trailer if you’re held responsible for the accident.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Medical Payments (Med Pay)

This option helps pay for hospital bills and medical care expenses for you and your passengers if you’re injured in an accident, no matter who was at fault. Some states require you to carry personal injury protection. However, if it’s not required where you live, you can always choose to add it for extra protection and peace of mind.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)

This pays for car repairs and medical bills you are legally entitled to recover from a driver without liability insurance, a hit-and-run driver, or for an amount that exceeds an at-fault driver’s insurance limits. In other words, it covers you when the other driver doesn’t have enough — or any — insurance. If it’s not required where you live, you can always choose to add it for your own protection.


Comprehensive coverage helps pay for repairs or replacement of your RV, motorhome, or trailer if it is stolen, vandalized, or damaged in some way other than in a collision. This includes loss or damage from fire, flood, falling objects, wind, hail, and collision with an animal.


Helps pay to repair damage to your RV, motorhome, or trailer caused by an accident.

RV Insurance Discounts & Savings

Getting the right insurance for your particular RV is important. Let a knowledgeable independent agent help you save money on your coverage so you have more to spend on your next excursion. You can earn discounts in the following ways:

Get a Quote Ahead of Time

You’ll receive a discount when you get a FirstMark quote at least one full day before the start date of your policy. To get the biggest discount, get your quote eight or more days in advance.

Take an Accident Prevention Course

If you’re 55 years of age or older, we strongly suggest taking an accident prevention course. Not only will you learn valuable safety skills, you’ll also earn a discount that lasts three years when you pass the class.

Install an Anti-Theft Device

You qualify for a discount when your RV is equipped with an audible alarm or a disabling device that shuts down the fuel, ignition, or starting system in case of attempted theft.

Store Your RV During the Winter

One easy way to save on premiums is to reduce your coverage to just comprehensive when you store your RV for the winter. Then when you’re ready to hit the road again in the spring or summer, call your local independent agent to reinstate your liability and other coverage options so you’re protected.


Is it OK to add my RV to my auto policy? Or do I need special RV coverage?
You can get liability and physical damage coverage for your trailer, camper or motorhome simply by adding it to your policy, but there are many potential coverage gaps if you don’t have special RV coverage. You would receive only actual cash value for your trailer, motorhome or camper. Most likely you wouldn’t have coverage for your personal property, awnings, generators and other equipment. Plus, you wouldn’t have vacation liability coverage, which protects you in case someone is hurt in or around your RV, and other valuable coverages.
What types of recreational vehicles do you cover?

FirstMark can insure almost any recreational vehicle! This includes Class A, B, and C motorhomes with values up to $1 million. We also cover fifth wheels and conventional camper trailers, pop-up campers, truck-mounted campers, toy haulers, and utility and horse trailers valued at up to $300,000. However, these values may vary from state to state.

Can I use my RV for my business?

No. FirstMark RV Insurance covers vehicles used for personal recreation only. We do not offer coverage for any RV driven or towed to and from work or a work location, including any RV used by touring entertainers, construction workers, and race car drivers.

I spend all summer in my RV. Am I covered?

If you use your RV for fewer than 250 days per year, we’ve got you covered.

What coverage is available if my RV breaks down or is disabled in an accident?

There are two coverages available. The first is roadside assistance, which provides towing, labor (including changing a tire), delivery of fuel, oil, water, or other essential items, or assistance if you’re locked out. The second is our Emergency Assistance Package. This coverage includes all the roadside assistance features plus transportation expenses, emergency lodging expenses, personal property coverage, and lock repair or replacement coverage.

Can I reduce coverage while my RV is in storage for the winter?

Yes, you can reduce your coverage to only comprehensive if your RV is stored for more than 90 consecutive days. Then when you’re ready to cruise again in the summer, call your local independent agent to reinstate your liability or other coverage options so you’re protected while on the road. It’s a great way to save money on your RV insurance.

How is my personal property insured while it’s in my RV?

Personal property can be insured in multiple ways. There is a nominal amount of coverage provided by the Emergency Assistance Package. However, you can increase personal effects coverage up to $50,000 to replace items not permanently attached to your RV. This includes items such as clothing, recreational equipment, and electronics. Your homeowners or inland marine policies may also provide coverage for your most valuable personal property such as jewelry.

Can I drive my RV wherever I want?

FirstMark RV insurance will cover your rig in the continental United States, all U.S. territories or possessions, and Canada. You can also purchase FirstMark’s optional Mexico physical damage coverage, which covers you while driving your RV in Mexico or transporting it in Mexico. Please note that you must purchase liability insurance from a licensed Mexican insurance company when driving in Mexico.

How do I file a claim?

First, call 1-800-332-3226. Our customer service representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer your questions and guide you through the claims process.

Do I also have to insure my car or home with FirstMark to get RV coverage?

No, your RV can be insured by itself. However, if you insure your RV and car on the same policy, you can get a multi-vehicle discount on your premiums. You will receive an additional discount if you insure your home, condo, or apartment with FirstMark.

I’ve had my RV for a while. How do I determine its insurable value?

If you recently purchased your RV, that’s a good starting point for establishing the value. If not, we suggest looking at sites like to find similarly equipped vehicles near you. You’ll want to find vehicles with similar options, mileage, and condition to get the most accurate value. Your local independent agent can also help you with this.

How am I protected if I have friends or family visit us at our RV?

Having people visit your RV creates the same type of liability as having people visit your home. So if a visitor slips and falls at your RV, or has one drink too many, you could be held responsible for any resulting injuries. For these reasons, we recommend you add vacation liability coverage, which will give you liability protection at your RV. Some coverage from your homeowners policy may also apply (subject to policy provisions).

Can I get coverage if my rig is permanently located in an RV park?

No. You can leave it at an RV park for up to 250 days per year while you’re using it, otherwise it must be parked at your house or in a storage lot.

If I sometimes rent my RV to others, am I eligible for a personal insurance policy with FirstMark?

Yes, personal insurance is available when the RV is being used for own personal use. However, no coverage is provided under the personal insurance policy while the RV is rented to others.

I added an awning to my RV. Is that covered?

Any awning installed by the manufacturer is automatically covered. If you or the dealership added a permanently mounted awning to your RV, you can purchase additional coverage under customized equipment, along with any other permanently mounted items including televisions, paint and murals, lighting kits, carpeting, and more.

If my RV is a stolen or destroyed, how will you pay my claim?

How we’ll pay your claim in the event of a total loss — that is, if the vehicle is not repairable or not recovered after being stolen — depends on which settlement option you select when you take out your policy. FirstMark offers three settlement options for RVs:

Actual cash value (ACV): With this option, we’ll find similar RVs to yours to determine the current fair market value, which includes depreciation factors such as condition, prior accidents, and mileage. Once we set fair market value, that’s the amount you’ll get in a claim, minus your deductible. This settlement option is available for all vehicle types, and it is the only settlement option available for horse and utility trailers.

Replacement cost (RC): This settlement option is available for new motorhomes and travel trailers less than a year old. In the event of a total loss, we will replace the vehicle with a previously untitled RV that is, to the best extent possible, identical to the one lost. This coverage is available for the first 10 years, after which settlement moves to ACV.

Agreed value (AV): When you start your policy, we will mutually agree upon a value for your motorhome or travel trailer. Then, in the event of a total loss, we will pay that amount minus any deductible.

My RV is titled in the name of a LLC or a business. Can I still insure it with FirstMark?

FirstMark can insure a RV that’s in the name of an LLC for tax purposes only, and as long as you (or you and your spouse) are the sole member of the LLC. However, we cannot insure a RV that’s titled to a business or used for a business.

There is no cost or obligation to see if we can improve your coverage, reduce your risk and save you money!

Skip to content