Every single home is susceptible to flood losses. Let me repeat that so it sinks in – EVERY SINGLE HOME IS SUSCEPTIBLE TO FLOOD LOSSES.

I know you live on a hill and there is no way water will ever rise high enough to flood your home, right?


Let us back up a bit. How is a flood defined by the National Flood Insurance Program?

  1. A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is the policyholder’s property) from:
    • Overflow of inland or tidal waters; or
    • Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source; or
    • Mudflow; or
  2. Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or a similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above.

Flooding can happen at any time. Any level area of your property is subject to rapid accumulation of water from sudden heavy rainstorms, melting snow, broken water mains, mismanaged watersheds and construction projects.

Did you know about 40% of all flood losses occur in low-risk areas? If you are in a low-risk area, you can buy flood insurance for less than $500 for some very basic coverages: $250,000 on your home and $100,000 on contents. Private insurers offer higher limits and include other covered expenses such as temporary housing.

Who do you call if you have a flood loss? Well, just by purchasing a flood policy, you gain access to the experts on helping with clean-up, debris removal and repairs. Let the experts take care of the loss, you have other things to worry about.

A FirstMark Agent can help you navigate the complicated waters of flood insurance.

Skip to content