As litigation expenses and the cost to repair cars and homes continues to climb it is important to take advantage of every opportunity to keep your rates as stable and competitive as possible. Here is a list of “best practices” as it relates to keeping insurance costs down.
- Try to avoid working with a captive agent – someone that only represents one brand. Work with a broker who can shop your insurance with multiple companies. FirstMark represents many top carriers so we can protect you correctly for the right price.
- Be sure to connect with your broker for annual reviews to make sure you are aware of any new discounts/changes that can lower your premiums.
- Before you purchase a vehicle, be sure to call your broker for a quote. Variables include the cost of the car, the cost of repairs, and the overall safety record of the vehicle.
- Bundle your auto, home, and umbrella with the same company. Many insurers give you a discount for buying two or more types of insurance.
- Be sure to speak with your broker before putting in a claim.
- By requesting higher deductibles, you can lower the premium. Also, think about reducing coverage on older vehicles.
- Ask if your carrier offers a discount for tracking your driving pattern.
- Maintain a good driving record.